[asterisk-users] Faxes suddenly failing

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Sep 1 11:17:49 CDT 2011

Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 11:50 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
>> kirsten du toit wrote:
>>> You should try disabling ecm..
>>
>> This seems crazy to me.  Why are you recommending it?
> Because its the industry standard last resort of anyone who doesn't
> understand FAX and is using T.38.

Even HP recommends for their own fax machines it numerous times:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=378056&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c00062808

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=buu02549&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3366988&prodTypeId=15179

Yes, always a last-ditch effort, and if it actually succeeds in getting
a legible document through then it means that either 1) the ECM protocol
on either the sender or the receiver is gravely flawed, or 2) something
that requires ECM (like V.34-Fax/SuperG3) ended up being disabled along
with ECM and that the problem really had to do with that something and
not with ECM.  I've never seen a fax document that couldn't make it
through with ECM enabled be able to come through legibly with ECM
disabled otherwise.

Thanks,

Lee.