[asterisk-users] Issues with Xorcom astribanks when running Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) as a quemu/libvirt guest

Eric van der Vlist vdv at dyomedea.com
Sun Oct 30 16:13:57 CDT 2011

Tzafrir,

Le dimanche 30 octobre 2011 à 10:30 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen a écrit :
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:14:55PM +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Xorcom astribanks get initialized straight on when using Ubuntu 11.10
> > packages but I am having a hard time to get the same result running in a
> > qemu/libvirt image.
>
> qemu? qemu+kqemu (the kernel module)? kvm? I would expect plain qemu to
> have pretty bad performance, though I hardly tried to use it lately.

I am using qemu-kvm right now but I am open to other open source
alternatives!

> Anyway, it should be more than enough for the simple firmware loading
> step.
>

> > The first difficulty is that astribanks devices get different usb device
> > ids during their initialisation process, requiring hot plug support.
> >
> > I have figured out how to solve this issue using the technique described
> > in this post :
> > http://www.blogs.uni-osnabrueck.de/rotapken/2011/04/11/how-to-auto-hotplug-usb-devices-to-libvirt-vms/
> >
> > That doesn't seem to be enough and the initialisation fails with a
> > status 1:
> >
> > Oct 28 18:58:19 asterisk-rg 'xpp_fxloader'[1006]: Trying to find what to
> > do for product e4e4/1160/101, device /dev/bus/usb/001/004
> > Oct 28 18:58:19 asterisk-rg 'xpp_fxloader'[1010]: Loading firmware
> > '/usr/share/dahdi/USB_FW.hex' into '/dev/bus/usb/001/004'
>
> That's good.
>
> > Oct 28 18:58:23 asterisk-rg 'xpp_fxloader'[1024]: Trying to find what to
> > do for product e4e4/1161/101, device /dev/bus/usb/001/005
> > Oct 28 18:58:34 asterisk-rg
> > 'xpp_fxloader'[1035]: /usr/sbin/astribank_tool failed with status 1
> >
> > Seeing that Xorcom requires USB 2.0
>
> Technically the Astribank driver requires USB 2.0 as it was not worth it
> to adapt it to the maximal URB (messagee) size of 64 byte of USB 1.1.
> astribank_hexload actually was never adapted to that limitation either.
> While this may be considered a bug, we hardly needed to load the
> firmware on USB 1.1 and this gets an earlier and safer fail on most
> cases.
>
> Anyway, astribank_tool does not use large USB messages. I would not
> expect it to fail on USB 1.1 .

My assumption that this could be the cause of my issues was based on
this blog post : http://www.parnreiter.at/xorcom-astribank.aspx.

The error messages I got were very close to those mentioned in that
page, especially these ones:

astribank_hexload.c:99: ERROR(load_hexfile): Failed hexfile send start:
-71
astribank_hexload.c:218: ERROR(main): Loading firmware to FPGA failed
'xpp_fxloader'[23554]: /usr/sbin/astribank_hexload failed with status 1

I am not in front of the server right now and can't test it again, but
from memory I *think* that the error message was the same except from
the value -71 which was more like -73 in my case.

> The problem is elsewhere. What happens if
> you manually run:
>
>   /usr/share/dahdi/xpp_fxloader load #?
>
> Or:
>
>   astribank_tool -D 001/005 -Q

I'll test that as soon as I can!

> If you have dahdi-tools < 2.5, you'll need:
>
>   astribank_tool -D /dev/bun/usb/001/005 -Q
>
> > and that the current versions of
> > libvirt and qemu in Ubuntu 11.10 emulate USB 1.10 in guests, I have
> > installed Boris Derzhavets' packages:
> > https://launchpad.net/~bderzhavets/+archive/seabios163 and updated my
> > host definition to emulate USB 2.0 but I still have the same issue.
> >
> > Have I missed something?
>
> What version of dahdi-tools is it?

2.4.1, and I see that dahdi-firmware-nonfree (that includes your
firmware) is 2.2.1.1-1:

vdv at lrt-rg:~$ dpkg -l "*dahdi*"
Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder

État=Non/Installé/fichier-Config/dépaqUeté/échec-conFig/H=semi-installé/W=attend-traitement-déclenchements
|/ Err?=(aucune)/besoin Réinstallation (État,Err: majuscule=mauvais)
||/ Nom                      Version                  Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================================
ii  asterisk-dahdi           1:1.8.4.4~dfsg-2ubuntu1  DAHDI devices
support for the Asterisk PBX
ii  dahdi                    1:2.4.1-1ubuntu1         utilities for
using the DAHDI kernel modules
ii  dahdi-dkms               1:2.4.1+dfsg-1ubuntu2    DAHDI telephony
interface (dkms kernel driver)
ii  dahdi-firmware-nonfree   2.2.1.1-1                DAHDI non-free
firmware
ii  dahdi-linux              1:2.4.1+dfsg-1ubuntu2    DAHDI telephony
interface - Linux userspace parts
un  dahdi-source             <none>                   (aucune
description n'est disponible)

That being said, the host (in which the firmware loads fine) has exactly
the same versions installed.

Thanks for your help,

Eric