[asterisk-users] Running as non-root

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 18:17:39 CDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:11:08AM -0400, David Backeberg wrote:
>
>> If you use DAHDI, you need to change ownership of /dev/dahdi/* to the
>> non-root owner. I ended up rolling that into the init script for
>> dahdi.
>
> The init script of DAHDI or asterisk is the wrong place for that.
>
> If you're one of those who actually uses static files, you set their
> permissions at creation time or whenever.
>
> The rest of you: set the permissions in udev rules, as in the ones
> included with DAHDI. This avoids any potential races and unnecessary
> work.

Thanks for the tip. I just noticed that the permissions 'came undone'
if I did a DAHDI reload, so it seemed like the right place.

For the record, I'm also using SNMP with asterisk, also as non-root,
and I'm also having a problem with /var/lib/masterx or whatever also
reverting to being owned by root. And again, my presumptive fix is to
put the chown directly into the SNMP script.

Ideas?