[asterisk-users] How to use menuselect.makeopts?

Patrick Lists asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 20 21:55:15 CDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 04:33 AM, Luke Hamburg wrote:
> Patrick:
> would you mind sharing how you're using the menuselect.makeopts exactly?  I
> first had this problem with 1.8.7.0 and again with 1.8.8.0-rc1.  I've since
> updated to 1.8.8.0-rc2 but for some reason I am still unable to get
> menuselect to use the .makeopts that I put in my ~home dir.  Maybe I'm doing
> it wrong.

Hi Luke,

I got the basics from the book but there also is some info on the wiki
here:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Using+Menuselect+to+Select+Asterisk+Options

Here are the steps:

1) unpack fresh Asterisk 1.8.8.0-rc2 source in for example your home
directory
$ cd $HOME
$ tar -xvzf asterisk-1.8.8.0-rc2.tar.gz
$ cd asterisk-1.8.8.0-rc2

2) run configure, optionally with the options you require so it can find
all the dependencies. See configure --help for a list
$ configure ...

3) compile and run makeselect
$ make menuselect

4) select all the options you require and save (press F12) when done
if some options are not available then you need to install the required
depenencies (most likely the ...-devel packages)

5) in the asterisk-1.8.8.0-rc2 source directory you now should have a
file called menuselect.makeopts. Copy this file to your $HOME but
make sure it's called .asterisk.makeopts (note the dot at the start)
$ cp -v menuselect.makeopts $HOME/.asterisk.makeopts

Now you should have everything in place so let's try it out:

1) remove the old asterisk source
$ rm -rf asterisk-1.8.8.0-rc2

2) unpack asterisk source so you have a clean environment
$ tar -xvzf asterisk-1.8.8.0-rc2.tar.gz
$ cd asterisk-1.8.8.0-rc2

3) run configure with the required options
$ configure ...

4) build the beast which should automagically pick up your menuselect
options from $HOME/.asterisk.makeopts
$ make

5) profit! :)

This is from the top of my head so I hope I got it right.

Regards,
Patrick