[asterisk-users] elegant way to change codec whn failing over to another line

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Thu Oct 20 05:53:34 CDT 2011

Hi all,

After having done some successful tests with 3G in combination with the
G729a codec, I plan to use this as a failover path for when the main
internet connection goes down.

However, on this usual connection, G711a is used. I could have the
script that monitors the main line also sed the sip.conf for changing to
another codec when a failover to 3G is done (and have it do a asterisk
-rx 'reload'), but I'm wondering if there's a more elegant way to change
the codec sort of "on the fly".

Thank you!

B.