[asterisk-users] Problem with outbound dialing from remote phone

Adam Robins arobins at PharmaCentra.com
Fri Oct 14 10:29:25 CDT 2011

I have a real head scratcher . . .

We have several employees who work from home.  All have Polycom 501's that register to our office Asterisk 1.6.x server and communicate using SIP g729a.  About two weeks ago, one of these remote users starting experiencing a problem with a previously working phone:

a. She could receive inbound calls,
b. She can place outbound calls to internal extensions
c. She cannot place outbound calls to external destinations.

I brought up the Asterisk CLI and had her dial outbound while I watched.  The calls to internal extensions are processing as they should.  However, I do not see the external dial attempts ever getting to the server.  This is odd because there is absolutely nothing in the programming of the phone that distinguishes one from the other.  I had her key in several strings on nonsense and I saw some, but not all of them.

So, I programmed another phone,  and tested it thoroughly from my own remote location.  Phone works fine inbound and outbound.  I then shipped the phone to the user.

User received new phone, plugged it in.  It registers to the Asterisk server just fine.  It receives inbound calls, however this one cannot dial out at all.  I see no dial attempts whatsoever on CLI.  If she plugs the old phone back in, she can still dial internal extensions.  I know the problem is not with the phone dial pattern, as I've had her key in the number and then press the "Dial" key.  Besides, the phone worked 24 hours earlier from a different location.

The sip.conf configuration has not changed from when the phone worked properly:

[1234]
type=friend
regext=1234
context=longdistance
secret=*********
callerid="User Name" <1234>
host=dynamic
qualify=yes
mailbox=1234
permit=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

I've checked all log files, and for the failed attempts I see nothing ever getting to the server.  I don't think the problem is with the phone.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc., would be greatly appreciated.  If I need to provide additional info please advise.  Thanks.

The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.