[asterisk-users] failed to extend from 512 to 676

Stuart Elvish stuart.elvish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 22:54:35 CDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I had this problem (using realtime sip peers). I don't know if this
error message (same one; failed to extend) is the cause but the site
in question will build a memory leak (>3GB) and then Asterisk will
become unstable (registration / qualify status would cycle quickly in
large blocks) and then Asterisk would crash. On reload there is
obviously no problem as the memory leak has been cleared.

One of my other symptoms was that when the problem started getting
worse (i.e. the memory leak was increasing) the messages would appear
more and more frequently in both the log files (can't remember what
the settings are) as well as the CLI if you are logged in. You woldn't
need to run a command to produce the error message.

My suggestion to determine if it will be a problem or not is to look
at your memory usage over a period of time.

I am considering upgrading the site in question to 1.8.7 to see if
that fixes the problem but I have to do some more internal testing
first.

Kind Regards
Stuart Elvish

PS My issues was posted to asterisk-users under the title "Error -
Failed to extend from xxx to xxx".