[asterisk-users] Dialout from MeetMe to another conference (Asterisk 1.4)

Josh Freeman cpe.jfreeman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:45:03 CDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 2:59 PM, Cassius Smith wrote:

> On 10/10/11 10:40 AM, "Josh Freeman" <cpe.jfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking at a scenario in which, to make it work, I'd need to dial
>> into a remote conference from within a local MeetMe room. That might
>> include being able to dial a conference code after the call to the
>> remote system was answered.
>>
>> *Ideally*, it would work such that I could dial a single extension from
>> one of my local telephones which would both connect me to the local
>> MeetMe room and also place an outbound call to the remote conference,
>> log in, and connect that call to the local MeetMe room as well.
>>
>> It looks as though later versions of Asterisk have an Originate()
>> application that would get me most of the way there, but I'm constrained
>> to use an Asterisk 1.4 system which doesn't appear to have that
>> application.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas on how I might make something like this work?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Josh
> Hey Josh,
> (curiosityŠ) How come you can use only 1.4?
>
> Cassius

Hey Cassius -

What I'm trying to do, ultimately, is a demo that will look something
like what Village Telco (villagetelco.org) is doing, where you have a
group of users on a sort of remote "village network" with a central
Asterisk server acting as a dialout gateway to the rest of the world.
The difference in my setup is that the central server will also offer a
land-mobile radio gateway.

The secret sauce that makes the radio system work is part of a bundled
CentOS/Asterisk distribution from AllStar Link (allstarlink.org). The
guys behind it are apparently the ones originally responsible for the
chan_usbradio driver and app_rpt applications. However, they forked
Asterisk around 1.4.23, created their own repository, and have only
updated chan_usbradio and app_rpt in their own source tree. I need those
updates to support my interface hardware, so I'm stuck using the AllStar
distribution.

For my particular demo, I'll have a single POTS line to use as an
outbound route, so if I want multiple local extensions to be able to
participate in the call I have to conference them on my end.

One way to do this, of course, would be to have two local servers
trunked together: one dedicated to the radio system, running the AllStar
1.4 distro, and another with 1.8 doing the outbound dialing and local
phones... but I'm on a tinkerer's budget and don't have a second PC
that's capable enough. Trying to make do with what I have, if I can. =)

Josh