[asterisk-users] Keeping Voice Call Active During Data Connectivity Loss

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Mon Oct 3 12:51:58 CDT 2011

Greetings-

I'm working on a unique Asterisk installation where I've been given a requirement of keeping a voice call active, even during a data connectivity loss. So, let's assume I have remote users connecting to an Asterisk server via "sometimes unreliable" connectivity such as satellite, wireless, or <shudder> dial-up. It is certainly possibly this connectivity will go down for a period of time anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes (or more). During this outage, if a call was already in session, is there any way to prevent the call from be hung up, and simply kept alive until media can begin flowing again?

In this situation, both sides of the link would be running Asterisk, 1.4.x or 1.8.x. Is this as simple as telling both sides not to hangup at a lack of media? Are the steps the same whether using SIP or IAX (preferred IAX in this usage case, unless SIP is specifically required)?

Thanks!

--Tim