[asterisk-users] A new hack?

john Millican john at millican.us
Tue Nov 29 15:44:19 CST 2011

On 11/29/2011 12:48 PM, C F wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Tom Browning<ttbrowning at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Gordon Henderson
>> <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net>  wrote:
>>> Linux has excellent built-in subsystems to control firewalling and so on
>>> without resorting to external programs. It's called iptables. If you know
>>> how to use them, then using an external resource such as fail2ban is
>>> unneccessary.
>> That's like saying you don't need FreePBX because you have this thing
>> called Asterisk.
> Very well put.
>
> --
This may well turn out to just be troll fodder but I can not resist.
I disagree with the above being very well put, personally I think it is
the opposite of well put. Maybe I am misunderstanding the gist of the
comment but, I do not NEED FreePBX, I have Asterisk makes perfect sense
to me.  I have been using asterisk for a few years now and have not yet
found anything that I need to do with Asterisk that I must have FreePBX
to accomplish.  Could I do the same things with FreePBX on top of
Asterisk, maybe.  I am not an expert in iptables but I have been semi
successful in adapting what others have done to fit my needs.  I have
found this to work better FOR ME than Fail2ban. I have used and will
continue to use Fail2ban for other purposes because I am not an iptables
expert.  In my opinion one should find the tools that work best for you
in your situation and use them.  You may well change your mind in the
future but that is the beauty of this industry, it changes all the time,
what I feel works best today may well not be what I think works best
tomorrow as new tools are developed and proven and also as I become more
experianced with the old tried and true tools.
As usual, just my 2 cents (US currency, exchange rates not compensated for)
JohnM