[asterisk-users] OT: Does IEEE 801.2q include VLAN trunking?

Ruben Rögels ruben.roegels at jumping-frog.org
Tue Nov 29 10:18:29 CST 2011

Am 29.11.2011 14:41, schrieb Douglas Mortensen:
> Yes. That's exactly what 802.1q is. Technically 802.1q allows the
> network devices to tag each Ethernet frame with a VLAN ID. This way if
> you have 3 vlans, they can all be "trunked" over 1 Ethernet port by
> means of tagging the VLAN ID.
>
> -
> Doug Mortensen
> Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

Hi Doug,

ok - thank you.
I also read on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1q#Trunk_ports_and_the_native_VLAN

---Quote start---

"Not all vendors use the concept of trunk ports and native VLANs. Annex
D to the 1998 802.1Q standard uses the concept of trunk links, but the
current (IEEE Std 802.1D- 2004) standard does not use the terms trunk or
native. Some use the term "Qtrunk" to avoid confusion with 802.3ad "link
aggregation" that is often named a trunk as well."

---Quote end---

Confusing. I'm planning to use a HP ProCurve V1810G-24 or ProCurve
E2510G-24 together with a MikroTik RB450 or RB1100 (which also supports
IEEE 802.1q). We want to set up routed VLANs for VoIP an company's LAN
without the need of using multiple ports on the router.

As I understand you, this will be possible without any problems, because
tagged VLANS also includes VLAN trunking, right?

Thank you very much.

regards,
Ruben