[asterisk-users] Asterisk refuses INVITE (401) and I don't know why

Jonas Kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Tue Nov 22 10:23:16 CST 2011

On 11/22/2011 04:37 PM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:

> On 11/22/2011 07:29 AM, Jonas Kellens wrote:
>> On 11/22/2011 04:25 PM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>>>
>>> Jonas,
>>>
>>> May I suggest that you present us your sip.conf entry for this peer,
>>> properly redacted, of course.  That might help more.  What I do for
>>> "gateways" at known addresses is to put an entry like this into the
>>> sip.conf entry:
>>>

>>> [peer]
>>> type=peer
>>> defaultip=192.168.40.123
>>> insecure=invite,port
>>> context=some_context
>>>

>> This is the peer definition in sip.conf :
>>
>> [SIPPEERusername]
>> type=friend
>> host=dynamic
>> defaultuser=SIPPEERusername
>> secret=guessthis
>> context=from-PEERTRUNK
>> nat=yes
>> dtmfmode=rfc2833
>> canreinvite=no
>> disallow=all
>> allow=alaw
>> allow=gsm
>>

>> Hope you can help me out with this extra information.
>>

>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jonas.
> From what I see in your entry, you are requiring registration from the
> peer.  The next thing i would check is to see if the registration has
> succeeded.  If it doesn't succeed, you will see the results you
> presented.  I see you have the peer set as a dynamic host, and if the
> IP address of the device does in fact change then registration is
> appropriate.

Registration of the SIP PEER is no problem. The PEER registers with a
correct REGISTER statement and Asterisk sends a 200 OK.

So the PEER is registered and then wants to make a call (INVITE) but for
some reason this INVITE is being refused with 401-Unauthorized.

The first 401-Unauthorized is normal, because the SIP PEER needs to send
a second INVITE with a challenge (nonce). But after this INVITE with
challenge, Asterisk still sends a 401 and that's strange !!

Jonas.