[asterisk-users] difference between playback and background?

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Nov 21 12:00:52 CST 2011

First question - playback is not interruptable by DTMF, background is.
You have two options here
Option 1
Use Read
[getnum]
Exten => start,1,read(mydigit,prompt,4,skip,1,2)
.. verification stuff

Option 2
Use WaitExten with Background
[getnum]
Exten => start,1,background(prompt)
Exten => start,n,waitexten(2)
Exten => 1111,1,noop(user pressed 1111)
Exten => I,1,playback(invalid)

For option 2 you have to define each valid 4 digit entry in the context.

Yes it can be maddening, but you get what you pay for.