[asterisk-users] Skype For Asterisk (SFA)

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 09:58:17 CST 2011

On Wednesday 16 November 2011, Abdul Basit wrote:
> Any has Skype For Asterisk (SFA) license.
>
> http://www.digium.com/en/products/software/skypeforasterisk.php
>
> PLEASE NOTE: Skype for Asterisk is no longer available for sale. Skype for
> Asterisk will be supported for two more years, until July 26, 2013.
>
> I want to test this thing. Any Idea. any free solution.
>
> there is one http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=784
>
> Tying to test but dont know if its workable or not.
>
> I will appreciate if any one can share his testing/implementation.

You would be better off persuading Skype users to transition to something else.

Skype is the absolute antithesis of the whole point of telephony, which is to
connect people together.  This includes, implicitly, the ability for
subscribers on one telecommunications provider's network to call subscribers
on another network.  Imagine if, say, Vodafone subscribers were unable to call
up BT subscribers?  Well, this is *exactly* what Skype are trying to create by
keeping their protocols proprietary.

Of course there remains a small but finite probability that Skype will be
successfully reverse-engineered, the Source Code leaked, or Skype's owners
forced to publish its communications protocols before the 2013 deadline.  But
it would be extreme folly to bet the family farm on this happening.

It's time to start seriously evaluating Asterisk-compatible alternatives to
Skype.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.