[asterisk-users] How do extensions "stay registered"

Sammy Govind govoiper at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:21:07 CST 2011

Hey,

I haven't thoroughly read the whole of your reply- just a quick answer to
your timers question-generally I think you're right. Those timers are
property of UAC so you may need to look into the phone configurations.
I'd CISCO 79X0 phones and we wanted those to refresh their registrations at
very short intervals of time as well as the INVITES timers was reduced
too,...umm..I think that was for DNS-SRV based failovers. Though reducing
the default timers from UAC heavily increased SIP traffic but we achieved
the target by reducing the SIP timers in all phones.

So that was an example.

When you are using Asterisk as UAC to register onto another SIP server you
can change the registration timeout and retry variables..and yes you can
change these SIP timers in Asterisk sip.conf but thats not recommended.(see
sip.conf.sample for details too)

PS: with a quick look at sip.conf.sample + voip-info.org sip.conf details +
google you can find lot more information than what you've collected so far.

--
BR,
Sammy