[asterisk-users] Standard UIDs, especially for asterisk?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 10:53:02 CST 2011

In article <4EC296B9.8040506 at digium.com>,
Jason Parker <jparker at digium.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 10:42 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Yes, I was hoping to use such a system user and group for asterisk, which
> > would not conflict with any other system package I might install in the
> > future, by virtue of being reserved for asterisk.
> >

> There shouldn't be any conflict either way.  (Properly written) packages don't
> specify a UID to use - they just get created sequentially, so the next available
> ID is used.

If that were the case, I would expect different installations of the
same distro (with varying package selections) to have different values
for UIDs of specific system users.  But examination of several different
RH-based systems from FC1 through to CentOS 6 shows the same values
being used.  I would be reluctant to label all such packages as
improperly written :-)

Cheers
Tony
--