[asterisk-users] How do extensions "stay registered"

Douglas Mortensen doug at impalanetworks.com
Mon Nov 14 15:51:51 CST 2011

I know this is probably a very basic question for many on this list. But in troubleshooting an issue, I wanted to take a step back & ask the question. In Asterisk (or maybe all SIP), how do extensions stay registered with the SIP server?

Do the extensions simply register repeatedly as a means of telling asterisk "I'm still here", or are there actual keepalive packets that are transmitted to actually keep a TCP session alive? My guess is the former.

But am I oversimplifying it? Is there more to the process?

Thanks,
-
Doug Mortensen
Network Consultant