[asterisk-users] Monitor() - splitting long calls into several sound files

Kingsley Tart kingsley at skymarket.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 10:27:35 CST 2011

Hi.

Yeah, sox and soxmix are no problem - we're already using that to
merge/join all of the segments together if people pause then resume the
recordings mid call.

The main issue is getting Asterisk to split the recordings into segments
even when users don't pause/resume the recordings (which most don't do).

The problem with ramdisks is that they're inherently limited in their
storage compared to hard disks, so increasing the size of the ramdisk or
changing the codec might improve matters but it's still several orders
of magnitude inferior (in terms of storage). If we could get Asterisk to
split the recording into segments during a call, it would allow us to
raise the bar considerably.

I'm doubting whether it's actually possible, but I'm hoping to be
pleasantly surprised :)

Cheers,
Kingsley.

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 09:41 -0600, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> Once the call is completed you can use SOX to split the call.  In my
> opinion, you will have to get a larger ram disk or record the files to a
> different format like WAV49, but maybe somebody has a better solution for
> you.

Cheers,
Kingsley.