[asterisk-users] DID from Direct from Telco

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Thu Nov 3 19:48:03 CDT 2011

On 11/03/2011 07:20 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Unlike going through DIDx, DIDLogic etc.., we have an option of
> getting DIDs directly
> from local telco Bell Canada. Currently our SIP Trunk provider
> assigned a DID to us,
> and as you know, they just redirect requests it to our PBX.
> However, when dealing directly with a telco, what equipment will we
> need? Basically
> giving us the same capability as a DID provider. If someone can paint
> a picture on how
> the DID suppliers function it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If I were to guess it would be:
>
> Telco Lines ->  Gateway E1/T1 ->  SIP Proxy ->  Media Servers?
>
> With this scenario, do we now have control over the number of channels?
>
> Thanks in Advance,

Simplest (with 3-4 T1s):

Telco Lines -> Asterisk box with T1 card (and possibly a codec processor
card) -> Customer

More complex (with a bunch of circuits) :

Telco Lines ->  Gateway T1 ->  SIP Proxy ->  Media Servers -> Customer

And if your question of "number of channels" is "Can I control the
number of channels a customer can use simultaneously?", then the answer
is "With Asterisk, Yes"