[asterisk-users] libpri : Q.931 Called Party Number interpreted as empty

giovanni.v iax at keybits.org
Thu Nov 3 04:00:04 CDT 2011

On 03/11/2011 9.08, Olivier wrote:
> Then, how should such a "valid but unuseful" character, if I may rate it
> as such, be handed, then ?
> To me:
> A.  we should not expect any called number to include any character but
> those in the 0 to 9 range.
> B.  we should notify sysadmin anytime an "unuseful" character is
> received (to let him, for instance, ask telco do whatever is needed for
> this to stop).

Oliver, I partially agree with you but especially when standards are
involved need to play more like devil's advocate.

About A:
  1 - Q.931 is not only isdn (gsm, ss7...), usually a specification are
built to plug-in and play together with other specifications. If a
standard says to accept IA-5 that must be done, else we may break
something else.
  2 - Maybe the telco switch violate some other specification about the
called number format but:
   2a) because of 1) discarding the whole data isn't the right solution.
   2b) I don't know if a country specific rule allow for that format.

So totally agree in B from you and the solution suggested by Mudgett:
discard chars that we can't handle log the event so the admin will be
able to do further investigations.

p.s.: sorry for my /Spaghetti-English-language/.