[asterisk-users] Option 'd' of application Dial not working in 1.8.8-rc2

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Wed Nov 2 10:29:42 CDT 2011

> > Hi,
> >
> > in asterisk 1.8.7.0 option 'd' works as expected: Pressing a key
> > while
> > in ringing state puts the call to an one digit extension.
> >
> > In asterisk 1.8.8-rc2 this is not working anymore. After doing a
> > diff
> > on the code it seems to me, that in version 1.8.7 there is an
> > autoanswer in application dial in case there is option 'd' present.
> > Putting a "Answer"
> > in the dialplan in front of the Dial-Statement solves the problem.
> >
> > Is this a bug or a feature?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> It was a necessary change. That automatic answer in the dial
> application
> broke DTMF attended transfer. See v1.8 SVN commit log -r336658.
>
> Will this affect 10.X or is it just a 1.8 path?

Yes.  It is in the 1.8, 10, and trunk branches.  It was documented
in the UPGRADE.txt file:

* The Dial application d and H options do not automatically answer the call
  anymore.  It broke DTMF attended transfers.  Since many SIP and ISDN phones
  cannot send DTMF before a call is connected, you need to answer the call
  leg to those phones before using Dial with these options for them to have
  any effect before the dialed party answers.

Richard