[asterisk-users] State of Asterisk+Virtualization+Timing

Johan Wilfer lists at jttech.se
Tue Nov 1 16:46:18 CDT 2011

2011-11-01 18:08, Tim Nelson skrev:
> Greetings-
>
> I'm about to dive into the process of virtualizing some of my Asterisk (primarily 1.4.x) infrastructure. In the past, when looking at virt solutions, the primary issue preventing me from moving was the lack of proper timing. We do not need it for MeetMe but rather for IAX2 trunking. I'd like to use either OpenVZ or KVM, but each seem to have independent "issues" that need to be addressed:
>
> OpenVZ - Better resource usage, lower overhead. Primary issue is how to grant access to host node timing source (physical device, or dahdi_dummy in /dev/dahdi/) to the containerized Asterisk process.
>
> KVM - Higher overhead, easier installation, 'true virtualization'. Primary issue is not timing per se, but KVM scheduling. Timing source, while present from dahdi_dummy natively may still not get proper scheduling by KVM process. This could also affect general call quality (even non IAX2 trunked voice), DTMF, etc.
>
> I have to believe there are others running virtualized Asterisk installations with some degree of success on OpenVZ or KVM. Care to share your thoughts?

Hi Tim,
I'm using OpenVZ, it works very well.
Take a look at: http://wiki.openvz.org/Asterisk_from_source

You will have to compile dahdi and install it on the HN, and then you
compile and install asterisk in the containers.
I've not done this with chan_iax, but with meetme. In the case with
meetme you would have to move some files over to trick asterisk that
dahdi is compiled on the machine. The wiki mentions copying user.h.

I used this as a starting point, some years ago:
http://www.telephreak.org/papers/vpa/
This paper covers vserver, so it's not exactly the same - but the steps
with tonezone was the same when I built the current server running this
configuration.

I'm in the process of building another server with openvz, so I'll need
to refresh my memory and try to document the procedure.

--
Med vänlig hälsning

Johan Wilfer                 email: johan at jttech.se
JT Tech | Utvecklare         webb: http://jttech.se
direkt: +46 31 380 91 01  support: +46 31 380 91 00