[asterisk-users] asterisk fails when DNS or internet fails

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Tue May 31 16:57:15 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 10:29 -0400, Eric Wieling wrote:
> As far as I can tell it is trying to do a reverse lookup on the IPs configured on the system.  With the internet down, does the command "host 10.10.10.1" (or whatever IPs you have on the system) take a while to come back?  Unless you can do a reverse lookup of all the IPs on the system don't expect Asterisk to be able to.   If your /etc/hosts is set up correct, you should be able to look up any IP configured on any interface on the system without delay.
>
> I'm sure there are other places Asterisk tries to do DNS lookups, but the above info has solved this issue for me in the past.

I'm not sure if that's all is true.
Sure, if you add a line in /etc/hosts, that works for most applications,
as not all commands follow /etc/resolv.conf....

i just tried, adding a line to /etc/hosts.
ping hostname works, but host hostname fails, just as host ip-address.
So even when you only put ip-addresses (brrr) into your config files,
the reversed-lookup will still spoil the party.