[asterisk-users] asterisk fails when DNS or internet fails

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Tue May 31 09:29:38 CDT 2011

As far as I can tell it is trying to do a reverse lookup on the IPs configured on the system.  With the internet down, does the command "host 10.10.10.1" (or whatever IPs you have on the system) take a while to come back?  Unless you can do a reverse lookup of all the IPs on the system don't expect Asterisk to be able to.   If your /etc/hosts is set up correct, you should be able to look up any IP configured on any interface on the system without delay.

I'm sure there are other places Asterisk tries to do DNS lookups, but the above info has solved this issue for me in the past.