[asterisk-users] asterisk fails when DNS or internet fails

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Tue May 31 07:57:37 CDT 2011

It seems to me:

That every Asterisk system that is being used for PBX or other "internal" as
well as external use should have a local DNS, run either on the same box or
on an adjacent box.

A simple BIND installation is low overhead.  If remote phones use it for DNS
then if they are on the net, they have all info they need to make a call
anywhere, and commonly called locations are either in DNS or cached.

Then there are no "DNS" based failures unless the Net is down or the
Asterisk box is down.

Well, now, I should do as I preach and install Bind on our Asterisk box.
However since we do have multiple DNS locally, we are effectively following
this advice.

C.