[asterisk-users] asterisk fails when DNS or internet fails

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Mon May 30 22:15:49 CDT 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011, Sherwood McGowan wrote:

> True, but with all due respect, if the cache's TTL expires and the OP's
> PBX cannot reach an external DNS server, they have bigger problems ;-)
>
> Slainte all!
> The Mick

I couldn't disagree more.  In fact I think this problem is more serious
than it is getting credit for, when asterisk is in use in places where
Internet connectivity is far from stable.  I have several hotels that have
gone without Internet connectivity for days, and somewhere between one and
three days down they can only spottily call within the system, and can't
make outbound calls on their voice T1.  Its certainly true that they were
suffering without Internet access, but it is very hard to explain to the
owners why they can't use their phones.  In fact the symptoms are very
strange - inbound calls on the T1 get the auto-attendant, but internal
transfers fail.  No one can call outbound, and only *sometimes* do
internal extension to extension calls fail.

I still scratch my head about what exactly asterisk is trying to lookup
that keeps it from being able to place internal SIP calls from extension
to extension, and sadly the few times this has occurred I wasn't around to
debug.

Hasn't anyone managed to solve this with something better than a caching
DNS server, which seems to only last a short while?  What exactly is going
on that is failing?

Cheers,