[asterisk-users] call files .vbs

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon May 23 04:34:10 CDT 2011

On Monday 23 May 2011, Thomas Perron wrote:
> This may be an obvious reflection of my Asterisk/Linux/Windows weaknesses
> but I want to know in any case!
>
> Can a vb script run somehow on a Linux machine or does it only work on
> Windows?

AFAIK there is no Linux interpreter for VBS  :(  But the format of the
callfile is independent of the language used to create it -- anything else
would violate the Principle of Equivalence.

Just learn Perl or Python instead.  Both these interpreters are installed by
default on every modern Linux system.  Python is for the young and trendy,
and I can't get to grips with it myself.  Perl is the rusty old Ford Transit
van of programming languages:  it may not be much to look at, but it gets the
job done.  And its regular expression handling is second to none.

> If I were to build a call file script (described in this link
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+auto-dial+out ) then
> how does it work if my Asterisk machine is running on Centos 5.5?
>
> I simply want to execute a script that helps me automate the voice
> broadcasting/IVR of up to 10000 phone numbers.

You have to write a program, in whatever language you like  (bash even, if
you're feeling sufficiently masochistic),  which generates a callfile to
establish the call you want to set up.  (It's also best if you generate the
file in some temporary location, then move it to the intended destination
directory.)

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.