[asterisk-users] Light indicator managed by Asterisk

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu May 12 11:56:32 CDT 2011

  _____

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Jonas Kellens
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:50 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] Light indicator managed by Asterisk

Hello,

is there some way to make Asterisk light up a certain light on an IP-phone ?

Like MWI, the message waiting indicator can light up if there is voicemail.

Could this light, or even other lights (like BLF-buttons) be used to give a
visual notification to the user ?

For example : if a certain value is set in the Mysql-DB and Asterisk reads
out this value, can Asterisk react upon it inside the dialplan to make a
light lit up ?

2nd example : if a certain extension is called, can we perform inside the
dialplan an action that makes a light lit up on a Snom or Yealink IP-phone ?

I don't know if all this is at all possible, but it doesn't harm asking I
guess...

If BLF works, then maybe more things are possible in the same way. Just
thinking outside the box here.

Kind regards,
Jonas.

[Danny Nicholas]

The answer is highly dependent on flavor of Asterisk and phone.  In my
experience, Asterisk can generally only light up the MWI light on any
applicable phone.  I have Polycom 501 phones and I can make MWI light up by
leaving a message for that phone or my generic extension 108.  If I zap the
message, the light goes off.  So in either of your examples, I could call an
AGI to turn the light on or off.  As I read, SNOM are pretty much equivalent
to Polycoms regarding MWI functionality, don't know about Yealink.