[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8.4 Now Available

|| dave cantera Mobile david.cantera at ibsonecall.com
Wed May 11 10:16:29 CDT 2011

danny,
not that it matters, but I agree. if the design is a good design, it
would not have to be redesigned on every release.  in fact, the modules
template should also follow this philosophy that way you can concentrate
on adding functions and not the design...

sometimes, it is smarter to scrap what you have and use the knowledge
gained to come up with a design that provides for a good, tightly
integrated, but flexible facility to interact with multiple components.
for example, the admin interface on * is just such of a system. you can
add commands as required (I haven't looked at the code to see if it is
easy to do though).

the more time you put into design, the less time you have to spend
programming.
IMHO,
daveC

Danny Nicholas wrote:
> <snip>
> [Danny Nicholas]
> Paul, this is probably a "dumb question", but why are some (or is it all and
> I just don't notice it) modules "fundamentally changed" from release to
> release (or version to version)?  As a C-dabbler, it seems to me that if I
> do gcc app_voicemail.c (using voicemail as an example) on 1.6 or 1.8, it
> should be fundamentally similar to doing the same thing in 1.4.  It seems to
> me that the 9500 line module that compiles and runs in 1.4 should be pretty
> much the same as what is in 1.6 or 1.8, but on closer inspection it is often
> not.  I know that some things have to change to add the new enhanced
> functionality, but from a "dinosaur programmer" perspective, the fewer
> background changes you have from release to release and version to version,
> the less chance you have of something breaking and having unhappy users.
>
> Please elaborate on what is wrong with my thought.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --

SJREIA South Jersey Real Estate Investors Association
Want to invest in Real Estate?
come out and join over 450 real estate investors
http://www.SJREIA.org

Licensed NJ Real Estate Agent
Buy This House REALTORs
david.cantera at IBSOnecall.com