[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8.4 Now Available

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed May 11 09:56:35 CDT 2011

On 11-05-11 10:46 AM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On 11-05-11 10:29 AM, Jeremy Kister wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused about this release (and previous releases on the 1.8
>> track) so please bare with me.
>>
>> I viewed the ChangeLog, but I don't see any of the 'sample issues'
>> listed. why is that ? I would expect to see the 'sample issues' listed
>> after 1.8.4-rc3.
>>
>> Also, is there a reason/procedural error that patches such as:
>> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18382
>> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18742
>>
>> didnt make it into this 1.8.4 release ?
>>

> Correct, they will appear in 1.8.5-rc1 forward. When -rc1 is created, it will be
> tagged from the HEAD of branches/1.8..  If 1.8.5-rc2 is create, it is because of
> an issue / bug was found in 1.8.5-rc1, and will include that fix only.
>
> If a new issue is reported after 1.8.5-rc1 and fixed in branches/1.8, it will
> not be added into 1.8.5 release, but will wait until 1.8.6-rc1.

More information about this is documented at
http://blogs.asterisk.org/2010/09/02/the-monthly-asterisk-release-cycle/

Basically, it doesn't make sense to do release candidate RC1+x from the head of
branches/1.8, because then there'd never be a solid base to test from. When we
do an RC1, it is pulled directly from the branch, which gets all changes since
the previous RC1.

Once and RC1 is created, if something is deemed to trigger a new RC (a
regression is a good example), then the RC1 is copied to RC2, and the specific
changes are merged into that RC. No further changes other than what was merged
in are added (i.e. not all changes in the branch are part of RC2). If additional
changes need to be made, then RC2 is copied to RC3, and specific fixes are
merged to that RC.

This continues until the full release is made, which is an exact copy of the
latest RC. So if we had an RC3, then RC3 is copied, without changes, to the
release version. So in this case, tags/1.8.4-rc3 as copied to tags/1.8.4, and
the only changes were made to the .version file and ChangeLog. Then the standard
release process is followed to turn that tag into a .tar.gz and get it onto the
downloads site.

Any changes made after 1.8.4-rc1 (for example) would then become available in
1.8.5-rc1, because only RC1s contain all changes from the branch directly.

HTH,
Leif Madsen.