[asterisk-users] receive faxes

Michelle Dupuis mdupuis at ocg.ca
Tue May 10 12:29:15 CDT 2011

I think the OP's point was that open source should mean:

Free to modify
Free to contribute code
Free to use.

Leaving the first two but taking away the "free to use" really takes the F out of FOSS.  There have been other posts discussing Digium's license requirements, code ownership, etc.  I think it's a fair and valid discussion (no need for a "love it all or leave it" attitude).

Digium risks following the same path as Oracle with their Java product.  Java was THE open standard for programming for a long time, but this status is in jeopardy as they clarify their license expectations.  I don't think Digium is at risk of a major backlash tomorrow, but it's a fine line to walk and easy to fall.