[asterisk-users] Slightly OT: Android phone as sip-gw?

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon May 9 07:11:35 CDT 2011

On 05/09/2011 08:47 AM, Jay R. Worthington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have some spare (read: Boss get's a new one every few month ;))
> Android Phones laying around. Does someone know a way of using them as a
> mobile gateway for asterisk? I could not find any SIP-Gateway in the
> Market, and i don't think it's possible to use the GSM Audio directly
> with something like chan_datacard...

I used older Nokia phones with chan_mobile/chan_bluetooth for incoming
calls. I vaguely believe that the documentation stated some of them
could be used for outgoing calls as well. I believe it depends on which
Bluetooth headset stack the actual phone implements. I'm afraid I don't
know if any of the Android phones have the right Bluetooth
implementation to do outgoing calls.

I'm actually quite curious about the results - could you post here if
you find a way please.

Sebastian