[asterisk-users] [SOT] Virtualising Asterisk

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sun May 8 13:30:57 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 16:24 +0100, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> I know a lot has changed over the past couple of years, and even
> monthly, and that Asterisk running within a virtualised environment is
> very happy indeed. If one would only be using SIP/IAX would Xen/KVM be
> the best solution ? / or perhaps VServer/LXC maybe advantageous due to
> binary hashing.  Your thoughts would be very welcome.
> --

At work we have a couple of asterisk instances.
Some of them are used for doing interfaceing job, like towards isdn-BA
or isdn-PRA, skype or GSM. (those do only _that_ and nothing more.

Others (dialplan, voicemail, etc etc) are running as an XEN-image.
Reason: much more easier to replace
Some of the are still 1.4 while others run several different 1.6
versions.
Currently i'm experimenting with a bunch of virtual 1.8-systems.

from my point of view sles/xen works rock solid.

hw