[asterisk-users] SIP secruity: username and password

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Thu May 5 07:38:40 CDT 2011

On Thursday 05 May 2011, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> When the endpoint register on Asterisk or initiate a call, so they exchange
> the sip username and password. What is the possibility that this will be
> capture by the hacker and how to avoid this problem?

If the two devices are connected by Ethernet cables and are on 192.168.x.x or
10.x.x.x addresses, then nothing goes further than the router where your
Internet connection comes in.  And we're presuming anyone within your bounds
is trustworthy.

If one of the devices is connected wirelessly, then the passwords will be
broadcast over the air  (although they will be encrypted).  In fact, if there
is a wireless access point anywhere on the network, then it may *potentially*
broadcast data and credentials even if the calls are not going through it,
until it has built up a routing table.  Wi-fi doesn't travel very far, but
someone in your car park and who has your WPA2 key may be able to sniff
packets.

If the phone call is going over the public Internet, then it really should be
tunnelled through a secure VPN.  Otherwise, make sure the password is of as
little use as possible to anyone who discovers it; for instance, put the
offending extension into a context which can only make internal calls, or
calls to carefully-selected external numbers.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.