[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Paul Hayes paul at provu.co.uk
Thu May 5 05:04:29 CDT 2011

On 05/05/11 05:41, Cary Fitch wrote:

>     Flavio E. Goncalves
>     www.asteriskguide.com <http://www.asteriskguide.com>
>
>     Compare to which version of Windows… Patches are a never ending process
>
>     Cary Fitch

I think this attitude is half the problem.  Asterisk is not a desktop
computer operating system.  It is the engine for a telephone system, a
telephone system needs to be much more reliable than a desktop PC if it
is going to continue to compete in a growing industry.

I agree with the comments on concentrating more on stability than new
features.  It's hard because it is new features that make good stories
and are easier to shout about in order to get a product better known.

For now I am sticking with 1.4 mainly (although I am using 1.6 where I
need BRI connectivity) but my plan is to move to 1.8 when I feel I have
tested it enough and it's been around for long enough to be proven.