[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Flavio Goncalves flavio at asteriskguide.com
Wed May 4 22:28:00 CDT 2011

My 2 cents. All these problems seem to be lack of focus. Digium,
please stop doing everything to everyone. Too many versions, too many
features, too many code, too many bugs. Following the Pareto's
principle, 80% of the users use only 20% of the code. My suggestion is
to start thinking of Asterisk as a platform taking care of only 20% of
the code. Digium is in position to create a market place for free and
commercial Asterisk applications, drivers and modules. Look at some
other open source communities such as Joomla at
http://extensions.joomla.org, There are more than a thousand modules
maintained by the community. Imagine, do you want a multitenant
parking module? Great there is one in Digium App Store for a few
dollars. Digium could have its own commercial modules. Support for 3rd
party applications would be up to the 3rd party developers. Why iPhone
developers make money and Asterisk developer's usually don't? If
people pay for silly games in iPhones wouldn't they pay for a Unistim
driver if they have hundreds of compatible phones?

I would like to say that I have a deep respect for Asterisk and Digium
that redefined the global telephony market, but stuffing Asterisk with
many  new features on each version does not seem to be contributing to
the stability of the code or the migration to newer versions.

Flavio E. Goncalves
www.asteriskguide.com