[asterisk-users] Retrieving sound files from DB as opposed to filesystem

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:46:14 CDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM, A E [Gmail] <all.eforums at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just from my experience with different DBs, stay away from BLOB data
>> types as much as possible.
>>
> Hi CF,
> any particular reason why? I've had a good experience with it, in fact
> that's recommended by DB developers when it's a case of small files. They
> say only larger files greater than 500K-1MB should be stored on the
> filesystem using filestream or similar etc.
> Although at this point, this might be a moot point, as so far no one's been
> able to suggest a way to be able to stream the content of the BLOB field to
> Asterisk over the AGI connection into the current channel, such that
> Asterisk can just play it on the fly. We'll have to just go with getting the
> file to the requesting * server and then play it

Like I said it's based on experience, I can try hacking my brain and
come up with particular reasons that can be written down, however I
don't really have the time for that right now.
In any event, my experience has only been with larger files (1MB up to
25MB). I never tried smaller ones, and since I just don't use it
anymore I doubt I will find out any time soon.