[asterisk-users] Multiple cards using same IRQ - getting IRQ errors and hissing

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Tue May 3 09:48:06 CDT 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 09:32:06AM -0500, Dean Hoover wrote:
> I am running Asterisk 1.16.2.13, dahdi 2.4.0 and libpri 1.4.11.4 on an
> HP ML110 G6 using Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS.
>
> I have two Digium TE121 single T1 port cards and a Digium AEX800
> 8-port FXS card.  All PCI Express cards.
>
> Co-workers are hearing hissing sounds on some calls, and I am getting
> IRQ errors when running "dahdi show status".
>
> I see that sharing IRQs for Digium cards isn't recommended, so I'm
> trying to set it so each card gets its own.  From the few web sites
> I've read so far, including Digium's FAQ site, I've added ACPI and
> verified that the BIOS does not give me the ability to manually set
> the IRQ.  I've even taken one of the TE121's out of the server (it
> isn't being used anyways).  Everything I've done so far has not fixed
> it.  All the cards (as well as USB1) all use IRQ 16.

With the TE121 and AEX800, sharing interrupts really isn't a problem
anymore.  The 'voicebus' cards, which the TE122 and AEX800 are, will in
most cases be able to accomodate most IRQ sharing situations.

> The other option given was to use setpci, but I am unfamiliar with
> that command.  I did what I could to try and find the setting (based
> on what the man page on Ubuntu's web site) where I could see the value
> 16, but not getting anywhere.
>
> I know that this is more of an Asterisk forum than Digium.  If I need
> to put in a case at Digium I will, but wanted to see if there were any
> suggestions here before I pursued that.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I would recommend updating to dahdi-linux version 2.4.1.2.  Commit r9687
[1] on the 2.4 branch addresses something similar to what you have
reported.

[1] http://svn.asterisk.org/view/dahdi?view=revision&revision=9687

I would also *highly* recommend ensuring that your BIOS on your
motherboard is the latest. There have been several cases recently where
the PCI Express root complex was misconfigured by BIOS which resulted in
corrupted data transfers.

Cheers,
Shaun

---