[asterisk-users] HA Asterisk

Jonathan Thurman jonathan at thurmantech.com
Mon May 2 10:25:47 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been looking at Asterisk SCF http://www.asterisk.org/asterisk/scf,
> but its not yet production ready. Can someone please pitch in about HA
> feature in Asterisk ? (HA -> High Availability.)

The current production ready versions of Asterisk (1.4, 1.6, 1.8) do
not have any native HA support.  You have to engineer that on your
own, or purchase a commercial product that handles it for you.  How
this is engineered would be based on your specific requirements.

> Also, What would be the pros and cons of using AsteriskNow over Asterisk ?
> Are the versions same in Asterisk and AsteriskNow ?

AsteriskNOW is a simple to install complete Asterisk setup, just add
hardware.  While that is great, it would probably be more of a pain to
make AsteriskNOW into an HA install than build one yourself based on
your specific requirements.  I haven't personally tried though, so
YMMV.

It appears that AsteriskNOW 1.7.1 64-bit contains Asterisk version
1.4.35 and 1.6.2.11.  Both versions are now at Security Update Only
status (but that's a conversation for another thread)

> We have been evaluating Asterisk for our Voice Application and
> it seems it would fit the requirement. Is Asterisk a CPU Intensive or a
> Memory Intensive application.

In my specific experience, I would say Asterisk is neither CPU or
Memory intensive.  Memory has never been an issue, and we are not
transcoding between different codecs.  If you plan to do a lot of
transcoding in software, then your CPU usage will increase.  You would
have to test using your specific requirements to know how it will
impact your systems.

-Jonathan