[asterisk-users] Retrieving sound files from DB as opposed to filesystem

A E [Gmail] all.eforums at gmail.com
Mon May 2 02:15:49 CDT 2011

Hello All,

Probably a silly question, but we're wondering if people have had any
experience and have data to demonstrate if the performance of the Asterisk
system might suffer in terms of latency etc. if we're to have it retrieve
sound files from a database using odbc as opposed to storing them locally on
the filesystem. Note, these are not prompts...these are sound files that are
being created through a web-app and being stored in the DB as BLOB or
similar datatype that's good/efficient to store audio/video files in a DB.
We need these be made available through the asterisk system to play over the
phone. Although the DB uses a SAN, the Asterisk System has no connectivity
to the SAN but is connected on the same physical ethernet switch with a
multi-Gbps backplane.

The way the system is being designed, it's possible for us to end up with
000s of these sound files stored in the DB, not to mention several asterisk
systems in a pool/cluster/farm requesting these files, so using the local
filesystem might not be scalable or efficient.

Any advice/comments/suggestions welcome :)