[asterisk-users] Huawei K3765 + Internet + SMS + Telephone

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu Mar 31 15:24:50 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 21:40 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I have an All-In-One intranet server <samba3>  and  usualy  a  seperated
> <router> as default gateway, which connect me using HSPA to the internet
>
> Now I have installed an Huawai K3765 on my <samba3>, installed "pppd"  +
> usb-modeswitch and removed the default gateway to <router>.
>
> OK I can continue surfing trough the <router> and <samba3> is now  using
> the Huawai as gateway to fetch mails and send mails.
>
> Also I have installed "sms-tools" which I use  in  combination  with  my
> installed "courier-imap" server to send and receive SMS trough a Siemens
> MC55...  but this I like to drop now in favour of the Huawai Stick.
>
> And at last I have installed "asterik" which allow me to do phone  calls
> using an IP-Phone connected to my switch of "kphone" on my workstation,
>
> Now the problems with the Huawai USB-Stick:
>
> Since HSPA is working and I get an internet connection, I am  wondering,
> how I can get the SMS and telephone part running, exspecialy the Huawai
> USB-Stick is designed for parallel use of UMTS/HSPA and SMS/Voice
>
> Can someone help me please?
>
> Note:  I am in Germany and use O2/Telefonica Prepaid SIM cards.
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>     Michelle Konzack
>
> --
Hi Michelle,

Perhaps i'm not understanding your question correctly.
>From what i read, i seems that you got your huawei working correctly as
an umts/hspa-modem, But now you want to use sms/voip directly?

afaict, you can only use the voice/text-services from asterisk over the
IP-layer offered by your modem.

If you want to use the GSM-chip directly, you need (parts of) another
project: not asterisk, but openbsc. But i don't think that they are yet
capable of communicating to Huawei-hardware (i have one myself)

You got a working IP-connecion ontop of the underlying gsm-stuff, and
have access only on anything on the ip-level, not to the protocols
underneath, i think....

As side-info, if you have openbts or openbsc up-and-running, you do have
directly access to the gsm-stuff (and above), but you need dedicated
hardware, like a nano-bts. And these are huge and costly compared to a
huawei-modem.

hans