[asterisk-users] asterisk and fail2ban

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Mar 30 15:46:37 CDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 03:36:10PM -0500, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> I don't use F2B either, but from what I understand, it is a packaged
> iptables automation.  If you are a unix/linux guru or have a small amount of
> traffic, I can see where manual iptables maintenance would be fine;  F2B
> would be for the "less-informed" or more heavily attacked amongst us.

Fail2ban monitors log files. It looks for certain regular expressions.
When those are matched frequiently enough, it runs a certain action.

So in this case if it sees lines for a failed SIP registration /
invite in /var/log/asterisk/messages from a certain IP address, it will
add an iptables rule to block that IP address (in one specific chain).

Sure, you can do that manually. Or with your own monitoring script.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com