[asterisk-users] asterisk and fail2ban

Terry Brummell terry at brummell.net
Wed Mar 30 15:32:38 CDT 2011

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of vip killa
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:25 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] asterisk and fail2ban

could you please elaborate on how you have iptables setup to work that
way?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+asterisk at drogon.net <mailto:gordon%2Basterisk at drogon.net> >
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Terry Brummell wrote:

I think you will find Fail2Ban the defacto standard.

I don't use fai2ban. Never have, never will because I simply don't need
it.

Standard iptables are good enough if you can be bothered to use them to
their full abilities. No need for anything else as iptables can do
connection tracking and blocking against time - just like fail2ban does.
More than X connections a second/minute/hour from a given IP address?
Yes, iptables can detect and block that. Works for all protocolls too -
SIP, IAX, POP, SSH, etc.

Gordon

--

Yah, sounds simple, how do you set it up to do this?  Fail2Ban was
pretty easy, if it's that easy, why was F2B even created?