[asterisk-users] Asterisk with FXO card only, no network

Jeff Brower jbrower at signalogic.com
Fri Mar 25 15:19:01 CDT 2011

All-

My apologies in advance if this is an obvious question and I've missed it on Asterisk FAQs and how-to's...

Can Asterisk operate with just an FXO card?  By that I mean, no network connection (none, no local network).  I want
to build some type of user interface to go off-hook, route FXO port voice lines to a headset (or speaker and
microphone), perform an automated conversation (e.g. playout from sound card), and go back on-hook.

The reason for this is automated test -- I'm trying to find a flexible, programmable way to emulate two (2) analog
handsets.  The test software would make a series of calls between them (different lines/numbers connected to the 2 FXO
ports).  (As a side note, the test software also interfaces with other equipment (RS-232 or USB), and the whole
sequence will eventually be automated and may take several hours to complete a regression test.)

Again, I apologize for the dumbness of this question.  We use Asterisk as a B2BUA all the time but this particular
question came up recently.  Thanks.

-Jeff