[asterisk-users] Why shouldn't I use 1.8?

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Fri Mar 25 10:57:29 CDT 2011

 From: "Jonathan Thurman" <jonathan at thurmantech.com>
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 11:06 AM
To: "Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion"
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Why shouldn't I use 1.8?

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Douglas Mortensen
<doug at impalanetworks.com> wrote:

> But I would like specific reasons why I shouldn't use 1.8 in a production
environment if anyone has some?

That is a loaded question, in that no two environments are likely to
be the same. Some bugs are major issues for < 1% of the install base
and take time to get merged into the code base. You should read
through the open issues for the 1.8 branch and see if there are any
show stoppers for your environment. If not, try it in the lab and
validate that it works for you.

Check out https://issues.asterisk.org

For my environment specifically, this issue is currently preventing me
from migrating from 1.6.2:
- 18818 [patch] Crashing when using local channels and realtime on
asterisk

There are a lot of benefits to the 1.8 branch (Long term support,
Called party id, Multicast RTP, etc) but only you can say if it will
work with your configuration in your environment.

-Jonathan

--

Doug

I agree with Jonathan. I have moved all but one of our production switches
to 1.8 the only thing holding me back is a minor bug so I have to keep the
1.6.2 box around until that patch is released into the 1.8 branches. When
that is done I will no longer be on the 1.6.  I have over 98% of our load
on the 1.8 switches and we are doing multi tenant pbx hosting and sip
trunking.

A point of note I just turned down my last 1.4 box 2 weeks ago. It was not
because it was not working but because I need more volume and 1.8 on the
new hardware meets that need and I get the bonus of not having to support
three versions of asterisk now. It is very likely that most of the time I
will have at least two versions in production at a time. This is so I can
offer the newest features with a stable build and I can offer a more long
term support for the customers that the newest features are not as
important. Most of my switch hardware has a planned 4 year life span. The
better asterisk gets the longer I can stretch that investment. My
recommendation is if 1.8 does not have any bugs that are issues for you try
1.8 out of the gate and test, test, test offer feed back from your testing
and the bugs will get fixed.

I would not spend to much time worrying spend more time doing.

Good luck
Bryant