[asterisk-users] Call are established, but voices can't be heard

edward choi mp2893 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:07:31 CDT 2011

Hi, I am having a little problem and I hoped maybe I could get some help
here.

I deployed a Asterisk 1.8 server of my own to make SIP calls just between my
friends. The server is configured with a public IP address.
My friends and I are using "Acrobits Softphone for iPhone" as a client.
I am using its push service which is hooked up to my Asterisk server.

Now, the current situation is like this:
My friend is under a WI-FI access point at his home, so his iPhone is
assigned something like 192.168.x.x.
I am using 3G network, so I have a public IP address.
Now, when I call my friend using my Asterisk server, the call is made
somehow. Which is amazing. How the hell can I make a call to someone who is
using a private IP address??
I don't know how this is possible but my guess is that Acrobits' push
service is doing some kind of magic.
So the call is established and I can hear my friend's voice. But my friend
CANNOT hear MY VOICE. I figure this is because he is using a private IP
address.

I just don't get it. Calls can be established whether two people are using
public IP address, or private IP addreess. But your voice can be heard only
if the other person is using a public IP address.

Is there some misconfiguration with my server, or my Softphone app?
Please enlighten me. I'd really appreciate any kind of help

Ed