[asterisk-users] doorphone?

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:20:14 CST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Darrick Hartman (lists)
<dhartman at djhsolutions.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 02:57 AM, Dan Journo wrote:
>>
>>  > could anybody suggest a usable doorphone and magnetic door opener
>>
>>  > "hardphone" system for me, please? Of course should be connectable to
>>
>>  > asterisk. I am in the EU, should be available here.
>>
>> I would recommend using a normal doorphone, and connecting it to a SIP
>> gateway like the PAP2T.
>>
>> Otherwise, you need a network connection directly into the doorphone
>> unit, and some people don't like that because it can give a
>> hacker/burglar, direct access to your internal network.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dan Journo
>
> That's not always true.  Some door phones have a remote unit that connects
> to the network and a local device at the door, giving some better security.
>
> I've used the Valcom VIP-172 phones.  They are simple and work well. Very
> good support if you need to call them.
>
> http://www.valcom.com/Home_links/sipdoorintercom.htm
>
> Darrick
> --
> Darrick Hartman
> DJH Solutions, LLC
> http://www.djhsolutions.com

To repeat and support Darrick's point.  Using a doorphone that is
analog and or coax for the last 3+ meters will save some headaches
down the road.  I have used Valcom, Viking and others.  With a Xorcom
appliance you can also have the contact closure I/O to open doors or
ring phones.

~~~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com ~~~