[asterisk-users] 1.8.3 - IAX - echo - jitterbuffer

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:12:06 CST 2011

On 03/07/2011 05:26 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 03/07/2011 04:15 PM, sean darcy wrote:
>> I'm using iaxagent on a Droid X to connect by IAX to 1.8.3 at the
>> office. 1.8.3 has sip phones. The audio is fine on the Droid X side. On
>> the office side, they hear an echo of _their_ speech, not mine.
>>
>> The office uses sip-providers generally without any echo problem.
>>
>> Where do I start to figure this out? How do I narrow it down? Can I
>> figure out if it is an iaxagent problem? Could using jitterbuffer cause
>> this?
>
> This is probably acoustic echo from your phone. The jitterbuffer has
> nothing to do with this.

Yup. Turning down the volume on the call reduces the echo. Of course,
now I can barely hear the office!

I can keep the volume up on standard calls from the Droid X, which
suggests that Android has some echo cancelling on phone calls.

I'll try to see if the developer of iaxagent can do anything.

BTW, if you haven't, try iaxagent on your phone. It's a very clever use
of the iax protocol and leverages iax's strengths. iax makes a lot of
sense on mobiles, dealing with the NAT issues from inconsistent access
points easily.

Thanks for the help.

sean