[asterisk-users] OT: OpenSIPS vs Kamailio -- which do you use and why?

Adrian Serafini adrian-lists at wombit.com
Fri Mar 4 15:39:46 CST 2011

Hi,

We use Opensips and like the results.  The forks are similar, docs from
one can help in the other.  The opensips mailing list is monitored by
one of the main developers.  He is even in the IRC chat in the mornings.

The docs are kept current on the opensips webpage.  They like to change
modules a bit, so really watch your versions.  The commercial PDF
"Building Telephony Systems with OpenSIPS 1.6" is excellent.(duck)

Yum is nice for the dependencies, but I would use a compile for
Opensips.  Most of the docs are Debian specific.  I love Debian, but our
clients love Centos.  I have some Centos Opensips compile docs if needed.

There are a few GUI's, but I prefer Opensips-cp.  To put opensips-cp on
a remote server, you need the xmlrpc module loaded on opensips.  This
works in Debian but fails on Centos (64 bit ONLY).

Good luck,

Adrian