[asterisk-users] asterisk behind nat

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Wed Mar 2 08:46:50 CST 2011

I'm running asterisk on a Freebsd with 2 Nic's.

Inside NIC is 192.168.5.x where the phones are.
Outside NIC used to be a public IP with the ISP's device set to
bridging, but the new WiMAX router only offers me the public ip
94.18.x.x on the outside,
and forwarding everything to 192.168.1.50 on the "Outside NIC"

Some of the phones are being disconnected with Asterisk saying "no reply
to critical packet"

How is Asterisk supposed to be configured?

Currently this:
externip = 94.18.x.x  ; Address that we're going to put in outbound SIP
messages
                                 ; if we're behind a NAT
localnet = 192.168.5.0          ; Internal NETWORK address
localmask = 255.255.255.0       ; Internal netmask
                                 ; The externip, localnet and localmask
is used
                                 ; when registering and communication
with other proxies